Sunday, June 9, 2013

Kate Creates: Upcycled Mirror


I've been shopping around for a mirror to hang over the vintage dresser that I purchased for my guest bedroom.  During my search, I remembered that I've had a mirror sitting in my storage closet for years.  I got a great deal on it when I worked at Hobby Lobby in college.  It needed some work after years in the heat but I knew I could turn it into something fantastic.

For my project, I bought some craft glue to reattach the mirror inside the frame.  I also bought some new ribbon and flower details from Hobby Lobby. I also used a hot glue gun, paint, foam brushes, and polyurethane to complete the project...all of which I already had in my craft supplies. 

My before picture.

First, I glued the mirror back into the frame.  Then, I mixed acrylic paints until I found the perfect shade.  I painted the frame using foam brush.  Once the paint dried, I covered the frame with a coat of polyurethane.  I attached the flower details using a hot glue gun.  Finally I tied a new piece of ribbon through the existing brackets on the back of my frame. 


Here is my finished product!

I love this part!


The total cost for my supplies was under $10, which was far less expensive than the mirrors I had been looking at.  I just love how it turned out!  I hope this inspires you to upcycle something in your home!

à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment