Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kate Creates: Cherry Blossom Lamp Shade


Welcome to my blog!  Today I'm going to share with you how I created a copycat version of a lamp shade that I saw while browsing in Hobby Lobby. 

I liked the idea of this shade but it was much too expensive and didn't quite match the color scheme of my bedroom.  I knew this would be simple to recreate...

While I was at Hobby Lobby, I picked up a few necessary materials for my future project...brown puff paint and Spare Parts brand craft flowers. 

Unfortunately, the project was put on hold for a few weeks while I looked for the perfect lamp shade to decorate.  I find lamp shades to be ridiculously overpriced in stores and I refuse to buy them new.  Instead, I buy them at Goodwill for around $3.  It may take a while for one to appear that suits my project, but I find that the savings are worth the wait. 

 

This was my finished product with a total cost of around $6. 

Once I had all my materials (brown acrylic paint, paint brush, brown puff paint, pencil, glue gun, flowers, lamp shade), it only took about 30 minutes to put it all together.  I first sketched the branches with a pencil and then filled it in using a thin brush and brown acrylic paint.  Then, I used a hot glue gun to attach the flowers.  Finally, I used the puff paint to outline the edges and create a textured look on the branches. 

I absolutely love how it turned out!

à bientôt (See you soon)!





2 comments:

  1. That lampshade looks awesome! And did you make the cupcakes that you are using as your background? They look vaguely familiar as your churro cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are my churro cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete