Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Kate Creates: Snickers Brownie Cupcakes


I'm not going to lie...there is a bit of prep work that go into these delicious dessert bites, but they're worth it!  In this recipe, I used a boxed brownie mix but made the toppings from scratch.  I think you'll find that making your own frosting is fairly easy and is way better than the store bought stuff! 

So back to the prep work part...I made dulce de leche yesterday to serve as the caramel topping on my brownies.  This whole process takes about 3 hours plus it needs to have a few hours to cool.  Here's how I did it...

I took this...
 
 
 I removed the label and submerged it in boiling water for 3 hours....
 
An ended up with this after some cooling in the fridge.


Now, here's the rest of the recipe!

Snickers Brownie Cupcakes

Prep time:  45 minutes
Bake time:  20 minutes
Makes: 16 cupcakes

Ingredients

1 19.5 oz boxed brownie mix, plus required ingredients
1 can dulce de leche (see above!)
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped 
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. milk, if frosting is too thick!


Directions: 

  1. Prepare brownie mix according to package instructions. 
  2. Fill cupcake liners 1/2-3/4 full.  
  3. Bake for around 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted to the middle of the brownie. 
  4. Meanwhile, cream softened butter, creamy peanut butter, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until combined.
 
5. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. The frosting should have a light and fluffy consistency. If it is too thick, you can add milk a tsp. at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. I filled my piping tool and set it aside until I was ready to frost. 




  6. Chop 1/4 cup of peanuts and mix with the can of dulce de leche. 

Notice that I followed my thrifty tip advice for spices for peanuts.  I spent 25 cents instead of buying a whole jar of peanuts!

 
 
 
  7. Once brownies cool, spoon desired amount of dulce de leche over brownie and pipe frosting over the dulce de leche. 




The finished product!


   
 I hope you enjoy!

à bientôt!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I'm kind of worried that one of these is gonna be on my desk tomorrow! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete